Table of Contents
- Latest Global Voices Posts About Nigeria
- Featured Global Voices Posts – Nigeria Elections 2011
The 2011 Presidential, National Assembly, Gubernatorial, and State Assembly elections in Africa's most populous country, Nigeria, took place in April 2011, against a backdrop of increasing local ethnic and religious tension.
The presidential election was held on 16 April 2011, postponed from 9 April 2011 due to various logistical and administrative problems. The election sparked controversy given the tradition of rotating the top office between the religions, after Umaru Yar'Adua (a Muslim) died and Goodluck Jonathan (a Christian) assumed the interim presidency in 2010. Incumbent Goodluck Jonathan was declared the winner on 19 April, 2011.
Please contact Global Voices Sub-Saharan African Editor Ndesanjo Macha if you have links or story ideas, or want to add to this page's resource list.
What we do: Global Voices bloggers from Sub Saharan Africa report on how citizens use the Internet and social media to make their voices heard, often translating from a variety of different languages.
- Nigerians Celebrate Nelson Mandela, ‘A Source of Inspiration for People’ Everywhere 6 December 2013
- Newfound Oil Met With Hope, Concern in Benin 8 November 2013
- PHOTOS: From Outer Space to Cyberspace, Nigeria’s Partial Solar Eclipse 4 November 2013
- Boko Haram Militants Kill Up to 50 Nigerian University Students 29 September 2013
- ‘How Much Are You Paid?’ Young Nigerians Ask Their Members of Parliament 28 September 2013
Featured Global Voices Posts – Nigeria Elections 2011
22 Apr - Nigeria: Tweeps Report And Discuss Post-Election Violence
17 Apr – Nigeria Votes 2011: Opinions from the Polls
16 Apr – #PlessYaHand and #NigeriaDecides Trending
09 Apr – Nigeria: Tweeting Parliamentary Election 2011
07 Apr – Nigeria: Will Technology Impact 2011 Elections?
04 Apr – Nigeria: Bloggers React to Parliamentary Non-Polls
03 Apr – Nigeria: Tweeps to follow during Nigeria Elections 2011
01 Apr – Attahiru Jega: Nigeria's Electoral Captain or Captor?
29 Mar – Nigeria: What Are Nigerian Bloggers Saying About the 2011 Elections?
25 Mar – Nigeria: Blogger Arrested for Allegedly Blackmailing a Politician
21 Mar – Nigeria's Golden Opportunity for a Social Revolution Through the Ballot Box
19 Mar – Nigeria: Ruckus Over Presidential Debate
- @Africanelection – African Elections project
- @feathersproject – Nwachukwu Egbunike, writer and publisher
- @MrFixNigeria – Ohimai Godwin Amaize, Nigeria's youngest presidential campaign manager
- @obionyeaso – Obi Tabansi Onyeaso, founder of investor relations firm based in Lagos, Nigeria
- @TechLoy – Nigeria's leading technology blog
- @toluogunlesi – Features Editor and columnist with Nigerian newspaper, NEXT / NEXT on Sunday