If you are following African blogs, you might be interested to know the top ranked blogs in the African blogosphere. Through Afrigator’s ranking system we are able to know the top ranked blogs in Africa as well as the most read blogs. Afrigator, which is an African blog aggregator, also has a list of top 45 African female bloggers.
Here is a list of 10 top ranked blogs:
1. Thought Leader: This is an editorial group blog of quality commentary and analysis, edited by the M&G Online
2. iMod: This blog ranks 2 in Africa and 2 in South Africa. It is a blog written by Chris M, a blogger based in Cape Town, South Africa. Chris is a freelance php developer.
4. Web AddiCT(s): This is a blog run by three South Africans. Web AddiCT is an acronym for Web “2.0″, Applications, Developments,Designs & Innovation in Cape Town.
5. My Heart's in Accra: This is blog written by Ethan Zuckerman about Africa, media and international development. Ethan is the co-founder of Global Voices Online. His blog ranks 5 in Africa and 1 in Ghana.
6. Blat: To utter without thinking.
7. Adii: A blog about freelance design, Web 2.0, entrepeneurs & strategy by Adii Rockstar from South Africa.
8. Urban Sprout: This a South African blog featuring green news and opinion, and an organic eco-directory that focuses on organic and eco-friendly products.
9. So Close: This is a blog by the South African popular blogger, Tertia. Her blog description reads: After being So Close for so long, I have finally arrived. Life after infertility. Her blog, So Close, started as off as a chronicle of her journey through infertility.
10. Wonkie Cartoons: A cartoon blog of recent news, celebrity gossip, bollywood antics and political commentary.
You will note that apart from My Heart's in Accra, the rest of the top 10 ranked blogs are South African. Other non-South African blogs on the list are Black Looks (ranks 14) by the Nigerian blogger Sokari Ekine, Bankelele (ranks 18) from Kenya who writes about baking, finance and investment in Kenya and Bongo Celebrity (ranks 20), a Swahili blog about Tanzanian celebrities. It is interesting to see a non-English blog making the top 20 blogs on the continent.