An 8.8-magnitude earthquake rattled Chile in the early morning hours of February 27. The death toll is currently estimated at 700 and rising. Global Voices bloggers keep watch of Chilean and regional citizen media about the destruction and rebuilding efforts.
- Wikipedia | 2010 Chile Earthquake
Featured Global Voices stories about Chile's earthquake
May 13 – Chile: Thoughts About the Earthquake and Reconstruction Process
Mar 30 – Chile: The Process of Earthquake Reconstruction
Mar 10 – Chile: Earthquake Reveals Social Inequalities
Mar 09 – Chile: Mapuche Communities Affected by Earthquake
Mar 02 – Chile: Army Deployed to Streets of Concepción
Mar 01 – Chile: Praise for Earthquake Preparedness
Mar 01 – Chile: Tsunami Strikes Juan Fernández Islands
Feb 28 – Chile: Tsunami Scare on Easter Island
Feb 28 – Video: Chile Earthquake through Citizen's Eyes
Feb 28 – Chile: The Legacy of the 1960 Earthquake in Valdivia
Feb 27 – Chile: Powerful 8.8-Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Country
- The “hashtag” #terremotochile is being used worldwide for news and information about the Chile earthquake in Spanish.
- The “hashtag” #rptw is being used for reports from Twitter users
- The “hashtag” #caminosdechile is being used for advice on roads and travel
- Norwegian blogger h3x.no has a list of people tweeting from Chile about the earthquake
Chilean blogs covering the earthquake
- FayerWayer – Chile-based technology blog in Spanish
- El Ciudadano - online alternative newspaper with a citizen focus.
- The Chilean ministry of public services has created a blog and Twitter account to inform citizens on public infrastructure and roads
- Terremoto en Chile – an aggregator of Spanish content related to the earthquake.
Online maps related to the earthquake
- Chile Ushahidi mapping reports
- Paniko has a collaborative map of local stores that are open for business
- Via FayerWayer, a collaborative map with locations of aid and donation centers.
- Via FayerWayer, a collaborative map of road destruction.
Other information resources
- The blog of Peruvian newspaper El Comercio, Repor Tube has images and links to citizen media about the earthquake damage.
- Google's person finder for Chile has been embedded on many websites
- Chile Ayuda [es]: Online resources on how one can help
Articles about citizen media and the Chile earthquake
Mar 1 – Journalism in the Americas | Chilean earthquake shows importance of social networks during crisis
- 16 Women Rocking Chile
- Latin American Women Say ‘No’ to Catcalls
- Developing Latin America: Winners of the Regional Acceleration Event
- VIDEO: Toward a Fair and Inclusive Education System in Chile
- Aymara Children and their Mental Health
- Skepticism and Expectation Ahead of Ruling on Maritime Boundary Between Chile and Peru
- 10 Documentaries on South American Music to Watch Online
- Peru and Chile Await The Hague's Decision on Maritime Border Dispute
- Latin America's Black Metal Fans, Punks and Otakus
- Spanish Television Show Does Not Represent Reality of Expats in Santiago
- 5 Places in Santiago, Chile to Remember the Pinochet Dictatorship and Say “Never Again”
- Michelle Bachelet Wins Chilean Election But Will Face Runoff
- Chileans Abroad Hold Symbolic Vote with Surprising Results
- PHOTOS: Humans of Latin America
- ‘A Country is More Than a Territory': Chileans Demand Vote From Abroad