On May 12, an earthquake registering 7.8 on the Richter scale struck in southwestern China's Sichuan province, centered in Wenchuan county, with tremors felt as far away as Beijing and Hong Kong. Thousands have died. Citizens have distributed videos, pictures, and comments in the aftermath.
Global Voices Articles
May 20 – China: Ethnically diverse forum shut down
May 19 – China:国殇; survival stories in QUAKE
May 18 – Japan: Earthquake aid starts healing process
May 16 – China: Time to pray
May 15 – China: Seismologist Claimed Sichuan Earthquake Was Predicted
May 15 – Japan: Views on the Sichuan Earthquake
* The articles below have both been updated with more recent information.
May 12 – China: Quake damage rising; witness in affected cities
May 12 – China: 7.8 scale earthquake felt across most of China
- A Map of China, By Stereotype
- Xinjiang People Fight Stereotypes Online
- Tale of China's Zhou Yongkang Won't Be Swept Under Rug After All
- Messages of Support Pour in From Abroad After Kunming Attack in China
- Chinese Journalists Launch Documentary Series: Chinese Word
- China Blames “Xinjiang Terrorists” for Deadly Attack in Kunming
- Chinese Netizens React to Ukraine Revolution
- China Internet Giant Tencent's New Acquisition Follows Online2Offline Trend
- Top Chinese Journalist Criticized for Giving Birth in the US
- Hong Kong Protesters Target Shopping Mainland Chinese Tourists
- China: A Survey of City Pollution
- China: Protest to Call for Respect for Sex Workers
- PHOTOS: A Dizzying View From the Top of Shanghai Tower
- 5 Music Blogs about China's Underground Music Scene
- China Central TV Blames Beijing Government for Air Pollution
This page is a work in progress. More links will be added soon.
QQ has been aggregating video shot by its users from many of the affected areas; many of these videos can be seen here.
On Global Voices, John Kennedy has linked to a number of videos, here.
ZonaEuropa has dozens of photos from after the quake.
Bob Chen links to a number of photos, here.