On May 12, an earthquake registering 7.8 on the Richter scale struck in southwestern China's Sichuan province, centered in Wenchuan county, with tremors felt as far away as Beijing and Hong Kong. Thousands have died. Citizens have distributed videos, pictures, and comments in the aftermath.
Global Voices Articles
May 20 – China: Ethnically diverse forum shut down
May 19 – China:国殇; survival stories in QUAKE
May 18 – Japan: Earthquake aid starts healing process
May 16 – China: Time to pray
May 15 – China: Seismologist Claimed Sichuan Earthquake Was Predicted
May 15 – Japan: Views on the Sichuan Earthquake
* The articles below have both been updated with more recent information.
May 12 – China: Quake damage rising; witness in affected cities
May 12 – China: 7.8 scale earthquake felt across most of China
- China Shoots Down Accusations that Edward Snowden is a Spy
- ‘China Open Mic': Examining China's Development Footprint in Africa
- Defeat Has China's Soccer Fans Up in Arms
- Chinese Football Team Defeated Again
- China's “Leftover” Women
- Follow ChinainAfrica Open Mic Hangout Online
- China Quotes Foreign Press on Snowden
- Snowden Hides in Hong Kong, US-China Diplomacy Takes Center Stage
- Caribbean Flu Scare was Accidentally Made in China
- Fuss in China Over Entrance Exam Masks Trouble in Higher Education
- Chinese Allegedly Mine Gold Illegally in Ghana
- For Tiananmen Anniversary, Tens of Thousands Gather in Rainy Hong Kong
- Hong Kong: Tiananmen Massacre Anniversary
- Chinese Activist Detained After Protesting String of Child Molestation Cases
- Chinese Motherland or Otherland?
This page is a work in progress. More links will be added soon.
QQ has been aggregating video shot by its users from many of the affected areas; many of these videos can be seen here.
On Global Voices, John Kennedy has linked to a number of videos, here.
ZonaEuropa has dozens of photos from after the quake.
Bob Chen links to a number of photos, here.