On May 12, an earthquake registering 7.8 on the Richter scale struck in southwestern China's Sichuan province, centered in Wenchuan county, with tremors felt as far away as Beijing and Hong Kong. Thousands have died. Citizens have distributed videos, pictures, and comments in the aftermath.
Global Voices Articles
May 20 – China: Ethnically diverse forum shut down
May 19 – China:国殇; survival stories in QUAKE
May 18 – Japan: Earthquake aid starts healing process
May 16 – China: Time to pray
May 15 – China: Seismologist Claimed Sichuan Earthquake Was Predicted
May 15 – Japan: Views on the Sichuan Earthquake
* The articles below have both been updated with more recent information.
May 12 – China: Quake damage rising; witness in affected cities
May 12 – China: 7.8 scale earthquake felt across most of China
- China: 100-year-old Buddhist Temple Was Force-Demolished
- Mandela and Mao, Not Much in Common
- Five Surprising Benefits of Smog in China
- Political Cartoon on Underground Poor in Beijing
- Infographics on China CCTV's News Simulcast
- Chinese Web Giants Alibaba, Baidu Launch Online Investment Funds for the Everyman
- PHOTOS: Heavy Smog Chokes China
- Interview With Chinese Political Cartoonist
- Outrage Over Famous Chinese Director Zhang Yimou's Extra Kids Privilege
- China Downplays English-Language Education With Series of Reforms
- Chairman Mao Is Greater Than Nelson Mandela, Chinese Leftists Say
- Lonely Chinese Men Are Looking to Vietnam for Love
- French Strategical Report to Counter China's Economic Influence in Africa
- “Lantern” Helps China's Web Users Dodge Censors Through Trusted Friends
- China: Father's Role
This page is a work in progress. More links will be added soon.
QQ has been aggregating video shot by its users from many of the affected areas; many of these videos can be seen here.
On Global Voices, John Kennedy has linked to a number of videos, here.
ZonaEuropa has dozens of photos from after the quake.
Bob Chen links to a number of photos, here.