A deadly cyclone hit Myanmar (Burma) at the beginning of May, causing massive human loss of life and environmental destruction. International controversy has followed over the military junta's refusals and delays to allow aid workers and journalists to enter the country or reach disaster areas, where the United Nations fears there may be millions in need of emergency aid.
Global Voices’ South East Asia Editor is Mong Palatino.
Global Voices Articles
Sep 29 – Myanmar: Aid still needed
May 16 – Myanmar: Citizen videos in Cyclone Nargis’ aftermath
May 14 – Myanmar: Voices through Tweets
May 14 – Myanmar: Twittering the cyclone disaster
May 11 – Myanmar: Survivors of Cyclone Nargis
May 08 – Myanmar: Slow relief work
May 06 – Myanmar: Unprecedented cyclone disaster
May 05 – Myanmar: The perfect storm
- Interfaith Groups: Stop Religious Violence in Myanmar
- Giants, Hackers, Trolls: Where Mythology and Online Activism Meet
- Myanmar: Suu Kyi Beats Lady Gaga in Time Magazine Poll
- Chinese Envy the Return of Private Media in Myanmar
- Myanmar Now Sells Cheap SIM Cards
- Al Jazeera: Amplifying (Global Voices) Women's Voices
- Religious Extremism Blamed for Myanmar Riots
- History of Myanmar's Movie Industry
- PHOTOS: Life Before Myanmar Violence
- Drones and Drug Politics in China and Myanmar
- Myanmar: Who is Plotting the Meikhtila Riot?
- Working for Rural Development in Myanmar
- Google Myanmar is Now Online
- Myanmar: ‘Save Our Zoo’ Campaign
- Aung San Suu Kyi Endorses China-backed Mine in Myanmar
This page is a work in progress, we will be adding more links soon.
- Google Earth inks to map layer of Myanmar cyclone data
- The Associated Press has an interactive map of the cyclone's passage through Myanmar.
There are many websites for making online donations, including:
Heart Station blog lists names, addresses, and websites for several different contacts accepting donations for the cyclone relief effort.
- Responsibility to Protect Petition
- United Nations to apply “responsibility to protect” doctrine to force international aid into Myanmar Petition
Other Special Coverage
Global Voices Special Coverage page from the Burmese Protests 2007.