What started as a day of general strike in Egypt on April 6, to protest inflation, low wages, and the ongoing bread crisis, has sprawled into a face-off between authorities and the masses.
The day was supposed to be a day of civil disobedience, where a general strike would be observed, with people staying home. The government swore to hit the strike with an iron fist, and warned the public not to heed to the call. Rallies were also quashed and the day ended with a confrontation between workers and the police at Al Mahalla Al Kobra, at the heart of Egypt's textile industry in the Delta North of Cairo.
Now Egyptian bloggers are working around the clock to tell the world about the workers’ revolt that is shaking their country, as thousands rally for a better life. They are at the frontline of unrest, which has so far left five people dead, scores injured and an undetermined number of online activists, organisers, politicians and mere spectators behind bars.
Their coverage comes in the form of blog posts, YouTube videos, Twitter feeds, Flickr shots, Facebook messages and all other online tools they can get their hands on. The battle continues.
Global Voices Online Timeline
June 4- Egypt: Great Firewall of China Coming Soon
May 16- Egypt: Torture for Bloggers and Activists
May 03- Jordan: Gearing Up for Strike
Apr 28 – Egypt: When Religion Sleeps With Politics
Apr 21 – Egypt: Disappearing People
Apr 17 – Anti-Strike Facebook Group Formed
Apr 10 – Egypt: The Story of Sounilla
Apr 09 – Egypt: Bloggers on the Frontline
Apr 07 – Egypt: A wake up strike (with video)
Apr 05 – Egypt Gears Up for a General Strike Sunday
- Egyptian Turns to YouTube to Object to Compulsory Service in Egyptian Army
- An African Tale of The First Love Story Ever Told
- Arab World: Farewell Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- Muslims Don't Lie .. Ever
- MENA: Hijab and Western Discrimination
- Egypt Sentences 529 Muslim Brotherhood Supporters to Death
- Video: Egyptian Blogger Alaa Abdel Fattah Released on Bail
- The ‘Happy’ Videos of Middle East and North Africa
- Egyptian Woman: “Shut Up Your Mouse Obama!”
- Saudi Arabia Lists Muslim Brotherhood as a Terrorist Organisation