The XVII International AIDS Conference is taking place in Mexico City from August 3rd to 8th, 2008. The event, which is the largest international meeting on a global health issue, occurs every two years in a different city. This is the first time it's being held in Latin America.
This year's conference has brought together an estimated 22,000 participants from all over the world, including scientists, policymakers, activists, and advocates (look out for Juliana, Lova, and Collins).
New scientific research will be presented at the conference, and participants will also share lessons learned and discuss the future of HIV/AIDS treatment and prevention. The theme for this year's event, “Universal Action Now,” highlights the need for continued urgency in the response to HIV/AIDS.
Global Voices Posts about AIDS 2008:
16 Aug – AIDS 2008: Lifting the Travel Ban on HIV-Positive People
11 Aug – AIDS Conference youth: A force to be reckoned with
11 Aug – African MSM & Sex Workers Voice Concerns and Hopes at AIDS 2008
08 Aug – AIDS 2008: Battling AIDS By Battling Homophobia
04 Aug – Iran: International Campaign to Support Jailed Physicians
28 Jul – AIDS: XVII International Conference call for videos
- Kaisernetwork.org: In-depth coverage from Mexico City, including live Webcasts, interviews and daily roundups.
- aids2008.com: Blogs, videos, photos and more from the International AIDS Conference.
- Witness’ THE HUB: Conference coverage featuring videos, photographs and blog posts on HIV/AIDS.
- Phrfightsaids.org: Physicians for Human Rights’ website and blog for the conference.
- SciDev.Net's blog coverage of the conference.
- faith&AIDS blog with posts about the conference.
- AIDS 2008 Photo Library: Photos from the event.
- Mali: Interview with creator of video journal “How are things in Bamako?”
- Mozambique: Medical professionals end unsuccessful strike
- India’s Dysfunctional Public Health System
- Dengue Outbreak in Singapore
- Caribbean Flu Scare was Accidentally Made in China
- Mauritania Faces Deadly Unprecedented Heatwave
- Russians & Cigarettes: A Hard Goodbye
- First LGBTI Parade in Lesotho
- Spaniards Vote for Universal Healthcare in Popular Referendum
- New «Squadron» of Exorcists for the Archdiocese of Madrid