- Global Voices - http://globalvoicesonline.org -
7 Good News Stories From Yemen You Probably Haven't Heard
Written by Noon Arabia On 27 December 2013 @ 19:41 pm | 7 Comments
In Arts & Culture, Development, English, Feature, Good News, Ideas, Middle East & North Africa, Photos, Video, Weblog, Yemen
Amidst all the sad and violent news coming out of Yemen, the assassinations, bomb explosions, US drone strikes and kidnappings, we managed to dig out a few news items that you might have missed:
1. After two years behind bars and no charge against them, some of Yemen's revolution youth were released , although a few still remain in prison until this day.
2. Journalist Abdulillah Hayder Shaye  who had been jailed  for almost three years, for exposing a US missile attack  on the remote mountain village of Al-Ma'jallah, which killed 41 people, was released and received the Alkaramah Human Rights defenders Award  but was not able to attend the ceremony in Geneva to receive the award in person because he is under house arrest  and not allowed to leave the country.
Journalist Iona Craig and investigative journalist and author of “Drone Wars” Jeremy Scahill received the award on his behalf.
— jeremy scahill (@jeremyscahill) December 6, 2013 
3. The Yemeni film “Karamah Has No Walls ” documenting the bloody events of March 18, 2011, in Yemen's revolution directed by Yemeni/Scottish film director Sara Ishaq  was shortlisted for an Oscar  nomination . Karamah in Arabic means Dignity.
Here is the film:
Sarah Ishaq also directed the documentary film “The Mulberry House ,” which is being screened in international film festivals across the world.
4. Launched successfully last year, TedxSanaa  held another event this year under the theme “Actions Matter”  which was just as successful and TedxAden  was launched on Dec 11, 2013. A lot of effort and great organization was put into it, beginning with the creative flash mob announcing it, to the inspiring panel of speakers and variety of subjects it included.
5. Kidnapped Dutch couple, journalist Judith Spiegel and her partner Boudewijn Berendsen, were finally and safely released  after six months in captivity. They were unharmed and said they received good treatment from their abductors. Judith said on her first Facebook post  after her release:
Yes yes yes we are free! We are very fine. We will contact you all soon, but for now: thank you so so so much for all the support. You cannot believe how fantastic that has been and still is for our families and us. We love you and we still love Yemen
6. On December 15, Yemen's parliament passed a law banning  drone strikes. The country has been subjected to continuous US drone strikes  for years and recently a drone strike killed 17 civilians in a wedding convoy  in Yemen. Yes, it sounds like good news, but it was just a symbolic gesture since Yemen's lawmakers have limited powers, especially when the country's own president endorsed the drones  and there are no signs that they would stop anytime soon.
Told that there wasn't a single MP who voted against today's drone. Telling. #yemen 
— Adam Baron (@adammbaron) December 15, 2013 
At this point, there's little indication that #yemen  parliament's drone ban is anything more than a symbolic gesture.
— Adam Baron (@adammbaron) December 15, 2013 
7. A road map was finally reached for resolving the “southern” issue . Some autonomy was granted to the Southern regions in Yemen in the face of the secessionist movement which had been calling for an end to the unity between North and South Yemen , which took place in 1990. A committee formed by President Abdu Rabu Mansour Hadi will choose between forming two regions in the south and four in the north, or two large entities, a northern and southern one.
It is too soon to determine whether this last bit of news is good or bad, but we are keeping it with the positive spirit of the post and hoping to hear more good news from Yemen in the next year!
Article printed from Global Voices: http://globalvoicesonline.org
URL to article: http://globalvoicesonline.org/2013/12/27/7-good-news-items-you-probably-didnt-hear-about-yemen/
URLs in this post:
 released: http://globalvoicesonline.org/2013/06/06/yemens-revolution-jails-its-youth/
 Image: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201189267834849&set=a.10201189250754422.1073741886.1265124577&type=1&theater
 Abdulillah Hayder Shaye: https://twitter.com/AbdulEla
 jailed: http://www.thenation.com/article/166757/why-president-obama-keeping-journalist-prison-yemen
 US missile attack: http://www.amnesty.org/en/news-and-updates/yemen-images-missile-and-cluster-munitions-point-us-role-fatal-attack-2010-06-04
 Alkaramah Human Rights defenders Award: http://en.alkarama.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1160:prominent-yemeni-journalist-to-receive-the-2013-alkarama-award&catid=330:award&Itemid=226
 under house arrest: http://www.alternet.org/world/yemeni-journalist-jailed-obamas-request-now-under-house-arrest
 @ionacraig: https://twitter.com/ionacraig
 @AlkaramaHR: https://twitter.com/AlkaramaHR
 pic.twitter.com/hghkDZDqT9: http://t.co/hghkDZDqT9
 December 6, 2013: https://twitter.com/jeremyscahill/statuses/408997222274326528
 Karamah Has No Walls: http://karamahasnowalls.com/
 Sara Ishaq: https://twitter.com/yemyogini
 Oscar: http://www.oscars.org/press/pressreleases/2013/20131010.html
 nomination: http://yemenpost.net/Detail123456789.aspx?ID=3&SubID=7303
 The Mulberry House: http://www.idfa.nl/industry/tags/project.aspx?id=a82ea4d9-b5a0-476e-b00e-767a3b97fb25
 TedxSanaa: http://tedxsanaa.com/
 “Actions Matter”: http://globalvoicesonline.org/2013/11/13/yemenis-looking-for-action-tedxsanaa-2013/
 TedxAden: http://tedxaden.com/en/
 finally and safely released: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/dutch-couple-freed-abductors-yemen-0
 Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/dutchcallingforreleasejudithboudewijn/permalink/470787746365725/
 Image: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=565895453500195&set=gm.472516222859544&type=1&theater
 Image: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201999106125786&set=pb.1429702374.-2207520000.1387145527.&type=3&theater
 law banning: http://news.yahoo.com/yemen-parliament-bans-drone-attacks-194832509.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CSWCa5S7QIAa9fQtDMD
 US drone strikes: http://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/category/projects/drones/drones-yemen/
 killed 17 civilians in a wedding convoy: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/12/if-a-drone-strike-hit-an-american-wedding-wed-ground-our-fleet/282373/
 endorsed the drones: http://globalvoicesonline.org/2012/10/02/yemen-the-presidents-speech/
 #yemen: https://twitter.com/search?q=%23yemen&src=hash
 December 15, 2013: https://twitter.com/adammbaron/statuses/412258805091549184
 December 15, 2013: https://twitter.com/adammbaron/statuses/412226359440596992
 A road map was finally reached for resolving the “southern” issue: http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/yemen-agrees-political-map-21323791
 unity between North and South Yemen: http://globalvoicesonline.org/2013/05/24/yemen-marks-unification-anniversary-as-south-marches-for-independence/
Licensed Creative Commons Attribution, 2008 Global Voices Online. See attribution policy for details: http://globalvoicesonline.org/about/global-voices-attribution-policy